ECA Code of Conduct and Ethics
In order to maintain the integrity of the Construction Industry, members of the Edmonton Construction Association agree to follow these principles:
- All ECA members will strive to be ethical, professional, honest, and exemplary in all business practices. All members must be above suspicion and beyond reproach, and must be perceived in this manner.
- A contractor shall use tenders only from qualified and responsible sub-contractors, manufacturers and suppliers.
- A bidder shall never make known the tender of any sub-bidder to any other sub-bidder prior to the closing of tenders; and shall never use the tender of a sub-bidder in order to secure a lower proposal from another sub-bidder.
- All bidders and sub-bidders shall be advised within a reasonable time period subsequent to bid closing as to whether or not their bid was successful; and contracts shall be awarded promptly.
- All contracts shall be awarded to the successful bidder at their tendered price.
- All contractors, manufacturers and suppliers shall be paid promptly in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract.
- All contract revisions shall be recorded and agreed upon prior to the commencement of the work.
- All members will ensure public and employee safety in all their endeavors.
The Board is charged with acting in alignment with the ECA's values, By-Laws, Governance Handbook and Terms of Reference at all times when representing and acting on behalf of the Association. As such, the members of the Board must adhere to the following:
- Maintaining a level of behavior that is beyond reproach.
- Adhering to the law within all activities.
- Being reliable in commitments made to and on behalf of the Board.
- Refraining from misusing the Board position and the information, benefits and stature that are inherent in the position.
- Keeping confidential matters private that are discussed or become known as a result of holding the position on the Board.
- Consistently acting honestly in fulfillment of the duties of the Board.
- Supporting and fostering an honest and respectful environment that respects the various perspectives and opinions on the Board.
Rev. Jan 5, 2017
With 89 years of strong and innovative leadership, your ECA Board of Directors have always focused on strategic and proactive movement forward. As our governing body, the Board is committed to continuous improvement by bringing the most current best practices to the ECA.
Our new Board structure, ratified in 2017, is intended to amplify and strengthen the foresight component of Board leadership and enable the organization to comply with current best practices, to be both proactive and innovative in wisely navigating our exciting future.
View the ECA By-Law changes to be approved at the February 5, 2021 AGM.
View the current ECA By-laws, updated September 3, 2020.
Board of Directors Election Policy
Full details on the ECA Board structure and policy are included in the 2020 By-Laws (see link above).
The ECA Board of Directors includes between 9 and 15 Directors, representing an equal number from the ECA's three classifications of membership: GCs, Trades, and Manufacturers & Suppliers.
Directors are elected for two-year terms, and may serve a maximum of three consecutive terms (with the exception of the Chair or Vice-Chair, who can serve four).
The ECA board is a volunteer leadership position that requires from 75 to 100 hours of personal commitment per year. This includes board meetings every 2 months, committee responsibilities, and a strategic retreat in Jasper each September.
The Election Process
The election is conducted by a third party firm called Vote Now, which specializes in online voting. All nominees are placed on an online ballot which is circulated to the membership by email, via our principal ECA contact for each firm. Each Full Member firm receives one ballot.
Required Material for Each Nominee
Nominees who volunteer to stand for election must complete a professional biography (max. 250 words) outlining their current position, industry experience, industry & community service, etc. We also require a high-quality headshot (any graphic format) to include on the online ballot.
CLICK to learn more about our current Board of Directors.
Your privacy is important to the ECA. To better protect your privacy, we provide this notice explaining our information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used. You are always free to browse our website without identifying yourself. If you choose to take advantage of our services, we may ask you for some personal information. This privacy statement discloses the information gathering and privacy practices for our website.
The Information We Collect
The type of personal identifiable information that the ECA collects may include name, address, email address, telephone number, fax number, credit card information (where applicable). It may also include information about your interests in and the use of various products, programs and services. This personal information is specifically used to process and fulfill any orders and to customize delivery of information to you.
Our website will also allow you to submit information about other people, which may include submitting a persons' mailing and email address to enroll them for an ECA membership or for a seminar or an event.
How We Use the Information
In addition to fulfilling your requests for our products, programs and services we may also use this information to communicate with you, such as to notify you when we make changes to our subscriber agreements, to fulfill an online order for ECA products or services, or to contact you about issues regarding your membership.
We may also use the information that we collect in connection with our online discussion forums and from time to time to offer you products, programs or services.
We sometimes use the non-personal identifiable information to improve the design and content of our products, programs and services and to enable us to provide a more tailored interface for users.
Collection of Information by Third Party Sites
The ECA website may contain links to other sites whose information practices may be different than ours. Users should consult the other sites privacy notices as the ECA has no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by these third parties.
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safe guard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security and correctly use the information we collect online.
How to Contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or its implementation, you may contact the ECA at 780-483-1130.
Refunds for Paid Events
In order to receive a full refund for a paid event, the ECA must receive notice at least two business days before the event, unless otherwise specified. Cancellation for education events must be received five days in advance.
Please email email@example.com to indicate an event our course cancellation.
Refunds are not available to registrants who do not attend an event without notifying the office in advance.
The ECA reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or other circumstances which would make the event non-viable. If an event is cancelled, all registrants will be offered a full refund for their purchased ticket(s). If an event is postponed, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the future date.
Refunds for product purchases may be issued within 30 days of purchase. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a refund. Your refund will be processed upon the office’s receipt of the returned item. The refund will be issued to the same card or account used for the purchase.
How to Contact us
If you have any questions about this policy or its implementation, please contact the ECA at 780-483-1130.