ECA BOARD NOMINATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
Nominations will be accepted from October 19-29, 2020. We hope that many of you will consider standing to serve. Elections for the 2021 ECA Board of Directors begin on November 12 and close on November 25, 2020 at 2:00 pm MST
Please submit your nomination to email@example.com by October 29, 2020, at 4:00 pm MDT. Thank you
On September 3rd, 2020, a Special Resolution Meeting was held, members in attendance voted unanimously to implement the following changes that will affect this is year’s election. It will take until the 2022 elections to fully implement the classification changes within the Board.
1. New Director Terms:
Extending director terms from two to three years. This was recommended to strengthen board stability by decreasing turnover as well as providing overlap between board directors coming on and off the board.
2. New Classification for Architects & Engineers:
Diversifying the current membership categories ensures that Architects and Engineers, previously eligible in the Manufacturing and Suppliers classification, are represented on the Board and do not fill seats that should be specifically allocated to Construction Manufacturers and Suppliers. The new classification plan will ensure that each classification has fair representation as well as providing a more focused representation of the Design Consultant Community.
3. New Nomination Eligibility Criteria:
It is an expectation that firms nominate candidates with significant or senior leadership, authority and oversite in their firm to be eligible to run for the Board. This does not mean that a small company cannot participate. In fact, it is important to have small firm representation on the Board.
4. New Membership Classifications for Elections:
2021 ECA Board Election Process:
The ECA’s Board of Directors is currently comprised of 12 Directors, 1 Director Ex-Officio (the Chairman of the Board), and up to 3 appointed Board members. Directors represent the Association's 4 Classifications of Membership — GCs, Trades, Manufacturers & Suppliers and Architects & Engineers. Directors are elected for 3-year terms.
This year’s Board elections will take place November 12–25, with new Directors being announced on November 27. We are required to elect 4 Directors for the 2021 term:
- 2 to represent the Manufacturers & Suppliers Classification
- 2 to represent the Architects & Engineers Classification
Incumbents for 2021 include:
Manufacturers & Suppliers:
- Dana Bouwman - Account Executive, Gallagher
Architects & Engineers:
- Derek Ciezki - Partner, SMP Engineering
Seated Board Members under the following Classifications for 2021 include:
Appointed 2021 Chair:
- Doug Hansen - Project Director, Fillmore Construction Management Inc.
- Jen Hancock - Vice President Collaborative Construction, Chandos Construction Ltd.
- Rob McGrath - President, Synergy Projects Ltd.
- Trevor Messal - Project Director, Ledcor Construction Ltd.
Manufacturers & Suppliers:
- Jennifer von Berendt • Designer, Business Development, DIALOG
- Jason Collins - President, Collins Steel
- Bert DeBruin - President & VP of Business Development, AltaPro Electric Ltd.
- Chris Dirks - Vice President, Kichton Contracting Ltd.
- Darryl Wiebe - President & CEO, Kerr Interior Systems Ltd.
- Andrew Sharman • Vice President Facilities and Operations, University of Alberta
- Jamey Singh • Senior Advisor, JS Advisors Corporation
Each Full Member firm (this excludes Associate Members) is invited to nominate a representative of their firm to stand for election. All nominees will be placed on an email ballot to be circulated to the membership between November 12-25, 2020.
Please be advised that the ECA Board is a volunteer leadership position that requires approximately 75-100 hours of personal commitment per year. This includes quarterly board meetings, one of which occurs at the annual 3-day Board retreat, and subcommittee responsibilities.
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of your participation in our board election as a voter, or as a potential candidate.
Best of luck to all who choose to run.